I am More Prone to Injuries by Sania


Melbourne: Sania Mirza's comeback from a knee injury was cut short as she lost in the opening round of the Australian Open on Monday. After the defeat, the Indian said that her joint structure is such that she is more prone to injuries.

Sania's 2011 season was cut short after the US Open due to a knee injury and she began the new season at Auckland where she lost in the qualifiers. On Monday, she lost 4-6, 2-6 in the women's singles first round of the Australian Open to Tsvetana Pironkova.

The 25-year old said it is not easy to comeback after suffering injuries consistently.

"Not a lot of people know but I have extra-lax joints and I am double-jointed, because of which I'm more prone to getting injured in my joints, and hence that's what's happened. I've had two knee surgeries and a wrist surgery -it's not easy," Sania said after her match.

"It was my second singles match in the last five months - obviously I'm always coming back from a surgery process, and I'm on that again and it's never easy.

"Of course, I'm disappointed but I will try to take as many positives as I can," she added.

Talking about her Olympics dream, Sania said she is eyeing a medal in the mixed doubles event, which would be introduced for the first time.

"A medal is a medal at the Olympics and it doesn't matter whether you get it in singles, doubles or mixed. The fact that even though a lot of people say maybe it's not a top priority, people are still going to play and they're going to play to win a medal," she said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger