Australian Open Tennis: Sania Mirza & Somdev Devvarman Lose The First Round

Sadly, both Indians Sania Mirza and Somdev Devvarman faced defeat in the first-round of the ongoing Australian Open tennis. Twenty-five years old Somdev went down against Tommy Robredo of Spain, who is currently ranked as No. 51, and Sania was defeated by Justine Henin-Hardenne.
Somdev is presently at No. 106 ranking, and this wild card entrant doesn’t need to worry a lot as he has lost against previous No.5 in the world. His score card read as 6-7 (4), 3-6, 4-6.
Energetic Indian Sania Mirza was defeated by Justine Henin of Belgium. She displayed some exemplary play, but in the end she lost the match. Her score card was 7-5, 3-6, 1-6.
Sania said, "I thought I had my chances in the second set, but Justine came out firing. That’s why she's one of the greats of the game. I lost my way at 2-2 40-15 in the second set. The champion that Justine is, she played some brilliant tennis and found her way back."

Opponent Henin even praised Sania on her play. She said, "I knew it could be a tough match because she's not a qualifier like the others. She has been in this type of situation; she has been in the top 30. She can play solid tennis. The beginning wasn't that easy for me. She was playing high rhythm, not a lot of mistakes. I was running a lot, that wasn't the perfect situation for me to come into the tournament."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger